Wednesday, 26 January 2011

River Of Stones #17

Another good day, lots of experimenting with felt, organza, metallic threads, etc,. I had fun playing, to be honest, and seeing where it took me. The result was surprising, I'm now planning some textile pieces based on sacred and ancient sites, hopefully I'll have time to dedicate to them around my more work related projects.
My big bargain of the day was finding that Mum had a copy of 'The White Goddess' by Robert Graves. He said that his work surrounded the theme that 'the language of poetic myth anciently current in the Mediterranean and Northern Europe was a magical language bound up with popular religious ceremonies in honour of the Moon-goddess, or Muse, some of them dating from the Old Stone Age, and that this remains the language of true poetry - "true" in the nostalgic modern sense of "the unimprovable original, not a syntheic subsitute"'. I think poetry is magic, especially those poems which take you off to other realms, whip up a pleasant storm in the psyche and hit the nail on the head with regard to your deepest feelings.

'The shift of the earth, freezing, thawing, draining. Movement within, sudden subsidence, sinking, leaving permanent dips in the lawn.'

'Flitting across the lawn, crouched over bird seed in the grass, tail flicking and fanned. My dog jumps at the window, heckles up, muzzle rounded - all whiskers, low growls and big eyes. You just fill your cheeks, and mock her...'

'Soft rain, falling gently, casting a gentle sheen on the stones...'

5 comments:

  1. Three more little treasures Jules and I love the new stones image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the doggie one particularly - heckles reminds me of eccles cakes.

    You find the best photos for these too.

    Robert Graves? Didn't he write, "I Claudius"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look forward to hearing/seeing more about/of your new project of the textile pieces based on ancient and sacred sites. A very intriguing concept. I like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete