Sunday, 30 January 2011

River Of Stones #21

Today, I have been fairly sensible. I didn't deliver my report through the medium of creative dance, although a few would have got the joke! I got onto thinking about noise while we were there, and how much the ear takes in despite other noises. I have exceptionally sensitive hearing and struggled to filter out lots of background chatter to listen. Then when it was my turn to speak, it was almost impossible to concentrate on speaking while others were making noises and talking at the back. Fibromyalgia is a weird thing, one minute you can speak and hear like a perfectly normal human being, until these hypersensitive moments occur, and suddenly you can't physically speak due to some random noise. Repetitive noises are the worst, things that sort of invade the brain and put your thoughts in a rut they can't get out of. It renders the most alert brain unable to multi task (this is where a fiesty attitude and a bit of shouting can come in handy!). Still, I managed which is the important thing. I also found another luxury: quiet...:-)

'My sentence is loaded, a conversation gets louder behind me, a chair scrapes. My sentence is loaded, but it won't fire. I don't know the words in it, can't even see it's shape or feel it's sounds....it's loaded, but it won't fire.'

'Chilled air in the car, reflecting the icy flow of the Avon by the roadside...then the faint tinge of spice fills my nose, subtle blends of paprika and nutmeg... the Bart Spices vuilding on my left...'

5 comments:

  1. Yes, I get the noise sensitivty thing, too. Had trouble following the conversation at my poetry group a few days ago the more tired I got. Very grateful for the quiet moments, like waking up early before the traffic starts. Note to self: I must move to the countryside as soon as possible, and until I do, I must visit the counrtyside often, even if it's just in my head :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to find a kindred spirit, Kirsten! Note to self: Kirsten has good ideas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I nearly missed this post Jules, it didn't show up on my side bar. How frustrating that must have been for you at the meeting and I daresay that no-one else even knew you were having difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this photo, really amazing energy. Did you take it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't unfortunately, yakihoshi! I find lovely pictures and credit them where I can, but I couldn't find the author with this one.

    ReplyDelete