Friday, 11 February 2011

River Of Stones #31

It's here, I've now completed 31 days of small stones. Okay, I know it's been a bit haphazard toward the end with being either unwell or busy, but the important thing is, I've done it. I'm pleased, and I trawled through all my small stones the other day and submitted the ten I think are my favourites. I'm constantly polishing them too, rearranging the phrasing and playing with the words and adjectives. It's a good test for the mind and the vocabulary.
Tonight was a good one - as part of the re-enactment group, we went to the Vue Cinema to help promote the premiere of True Grit. I'm a huge fan of the book, which I'd recommend to anyone, and I love the Coen Brothers films. I can't wait to see exactly what they've done with the film - the name Coen usually speaks of authenticity, gritty realism, dark humour and quirky twists. They've inspired me so many times on sheer diversity alone, that they've become a favourite on my film shelf. We had a good time talking to the public, and hopefully recruiting a few in the process. It's amazing how many people nurture their childlike side and say 'I'd love to dress up like that and have fun...' There's a deep part of us that, no matter how old we get, still thrives on imagination and play. I think the saying goes, 'We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing.'........How true.
'Gravitating toward the cinema, groups, couples, singles, all puzzled at our presence. Stares thrown our way, careful avoiding scurries, then some stop for questions and a look at our clothes and boots.'
'Authentic boots, gloves tucked in my gunbelt, which still smells of the leather softener I used months ago. My shirt frays threads, carefully pulled and distressed over weeks. My hat, new this morning, battered this evening, and stained under the brown tones of dye....'

6 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed each of your stones and the images you chose to go with them. Well done for getting through to the end. Glad all went well yesterday and that you had a good time. Something else to hear all about! (I'm sure that's bad grammar, but you know what I mean!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done for all your stones. That's persistence for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Except for early childhood, I think maybe play actually gets easier (and more spontaneous) the older one gets. I see that you're continuing the stones. I've enjoyed reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou for all your lovely comments, they've helped me to choose which ones to offer for the publication. I'm happy to say, Robyn and Kaspa are going to choose at least one of them!
    I'm such a big advocate of this project, and I've made so many friends along the way. Blessings to you all. X )O(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, where have you been?

    I've got one of mine in the ROS book too!

    We done good, girl!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just learned the good news via Kat on Facebook. Congratulations and well done to both of you.

    ReplyDelete