Friday, 25 May 2012

Blasts From The Past.....

Hello magical folks, I've not posted for an age, but I'm back on track after bugs, business things, and whathaveyou.  I've been thinking lately about memory, and things that take you back to another time, another place.  This sensation fascinates me, it's magical.  I find these retro applications that you can download free absolutely wonderful, I can take an ordinary photograph, and use the filters and borders to capture the memory as I remember it.  You know when it happens because of that feeling in your gut of recognition and a stirring of something deeper.  These effects for me unlock what my subconscious feels, what my soul registers at the time.  Then later, when I see the image, it's not my eyes that tell me what I'm seeing, it's the goosebumps on my skin, or the hairs on the back of my neck.

I love retro effects.  I was lucky enough to be given a slide projector by my grandmother after my grandfather died.  He left me things to do with natural history, and knowledge (I was so glad I wasn't older and got the gold pen/watch!! The shells collection, books and slides were much better!).  I remember the smell of the old projector when it got hot, like old attics.  The images were so aged, but beautifully taken, wonderful skies and shorelines, roses, rivers...they somehow conveyed the essence of their subjects better than the clearest photograph.

This 'projector' smell, the vintage look, and the subject matter became synonymous to me with peace and utter joy.  I would hole myself up in my bedroom and look at these treasures, hour after hour, they were like a time machine.  I could travel anywhere.  Magic.













Some images just 'speak' to me, like barren beaches, or a telegraph pole, they evoke something within me.  And it's inexplicable, which is what I love about it.  I've used this technique to start designing my tarot cards, an exercise which I've taken on to better understand the deck and it's meanings.  This technique is a blend of deja vu and some unlocked or embroidered memory - I think more is seen by the soul than by the eye sometimes.  A little like a poem, it can be a better snapshot than a poor photograph.

If I'm ever brave enough, I'll post some of my tarot cards....you never know, I might just do it.

Best wishes....

4 comments:

  1. I love the way seemingly random things "speak" to me in that way too. They spark off a whole range of thoughts, emotions and things to follow up for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Mumasu, I like the way you say 'follow up for a while'...that's certainly true. And it's amazing where something so simple will take you, and what you'll encounter along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very thought provoking post Jules and I love what you have done with your photos.
    Your Tarot cards are excellent - I hope you will feel brave enough to share them here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Mum - I might share them....they're a bit too personal at the moment to let anyone have a look. It's a bit of an ambitious exercise especially when you're a novice. But then I figured anything to do with design helps me understand things better and I can probably make several decks and smirk at the earlier efforts when I'm all shiny and clever one day!

    ReplyDelete